So, your business is booming! Calls are coming in consistently and you’ve got the ol’ business flight off the ground. Just when you think you couldn’t be more blessed. Then, another big project comes in and you think you’re flying high enough that you can go on auto pilot for a while. That is what we all strive for as entreprenuers and start-ups. Whether you own a restaurant, have an online business, or even if you are contractors, you need to pause and at some point and make a plan for a soft landing. When business slows down, (it does for all of us,) what are you planning to do in your down time? Relax? Maybe wait for the wind to pick up again? Not for start-ups! It’s time to prepare.
FLIGHT DELAY WAITING OUT THE STORM
You thought you had everything under control. Just a little lull in workflow, but you’ve prepared for a couple of weeks of slow time. Maybe you’ve even put a little cash away in case of a flight delay. But now the cash is almost depleted and just when you are about to board the next flight, a major storm hits grounding your business indefinitely until the lightning lets up. There is nothing you can do really. You could panic, but that woudn’t do anybody any good. So what’s next? Here are a few tips to get back to grinding while you wait out the storm.
- Work on your Google ranking – A little extra time spent on SEO is NEVER wasted! It is tedious and redundant as hell, but there is no better time than bad weather to complete these tasks in-doors with a coffee nearby stroking keys on your laptop.
- Plan your next marketing campaign – Think back to when business was thriving. What does your business offer that people just can’t live without? Time to pull out all the stops, offer up your best loss-leader and get that cash flowing again so your business can live another day.
- Start a blog – Even if you aren’t a great writer, there are other bits of content that are great to include in a blog. Be creative! Make some videos, draw some cartoons relative to your business, start a photo gallery of your work with some brief verbiage explaining each project. A blog drives traffic and let’s customers get a better feel for your personal brand. Ask your web developer for help and a small tutorial to show how you can do it yourself to same cash. Remember to share your post on all of your favorite Social Media outlets.
- Brand Analysis – Take a close look at your brand image. How does your website, marketing collateral, business cards or even your store front look to your customers? Are you happy with your business image? Many marketing businesses offer free brand analysis of all areas of your business, (including Artworks Productions!), so make sure business image is current and staying trendy.
- Clean House – You need to take this time to get organized. Improve your processes and workflow where necessary and anticipate that your flight is getting ready to take-off again.
- Follow-up on leads – Maybe one of your clients has informed you that they have a large project coming your way in a few months. But for you, there is no better time than now to get started on that project! Offer your customer a nice discount if they are willing to pull the trigger early. Money talks and it gives you a great opportunity to take great care of those awesome clients that keep the fuel in your plane.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING START-UP AIRLINES
As an entreprenuer and owner of a design company, we help our clients with branding, SEO, signage, websites, marketing advice and more on every flight. If you need help or are unsure about any of these areas with your business, feel free to contact us anytime for a free consultation. Happy flying everyone!